“Know what you’re doing and have fun.”
Firefly Adventures is my retirement dream: a multi-faceted endeavour to share my experience, passion, knowledge, skills, values and joy of the outdoors with others so that they may have safe adventures and expand their horizons of experience, as well as their understanding and appreciation of the natural world. As a teacher of outdoor education for many years, I have developed a keen appreciation of and fascination with the natural world, a passionate sense of stewardship and an enthusiastic pursuit of adventure and lifelong learning.
Mission Statement : To reconnect people with their natural environment by helping develop knowledgeable, competent, safe and thoughtful outdoor enthusiasts.
Firefly Adventures offers:
- Outfitted Instructional Wilderness Canoe trips to world famous Algonquin Park, the World Heritage Site Rideau Canal, Frontenac Provincial Park, and others,
- Canoe Guiding and Instruction, including O.R.C.K.A. courses,
- Canoe Day trips around Eastern Ontario,
- Team Building,
- Nature Interpretation,
- Winter Camping, (in a ‘quinzee’)
- Square Dancing
- Renewable Energy,
- Ontario “Eco-Schools” Program, (ontarioecoschools.org) (Waste reduction & Energy Conservation),
- Wilderness Survival Skills,
- outdoor education consulting/instruction for school boards, summer camps, private schools and teacher/instructor workshops; assistance with programming and starting an outdoor ed. centre.
- Environmental Auditing & Consulting ,
What is Outdoor Education? It is a unique, powerful and lasting learning process that focuses on environment, character, curriculum, and wellbeing; learning through experience with the hands and the heart. It is also EXCITING and FUN!
Safety and Risk Management – I plan and conduct all my activities with safety and risk management constantly in mind.